Tuesday, September 3, 2013

How to Camp LA Style

Spent Labor Day weekend in the mountains with a 600+ artists, film makers, musicians, dancers, actors, comedians, poets, designers, and most importantly LA HIPSTERS.

Yes. That is, in fact, a DJ on top of that structure. 

Does YOUR camp have a DJ & sax player to transition you to your next session? 
Art was EVERYWHERE! 

I was nervous that when I got there, my only food options would be typical camp cafeteria food. Hot dogs, pizza, sloppy joes, canned peaches, etc etc etc. However, the food was AMAZING!

Here is what I ate - Sorry there are no measurements, but I didn't have a food scale with me or measuring cups so I had to eye ball my portions.

Saturday 8/31

Wake up at DAWN

7:30 am: First stop Riverside. Cup of coffee.
Hard Boiled egg & water

Arrive at Camp around 9:00 am

2 pills with water @ 11:30

LUNCH @ 12pm

  • Salad: spinach, chick peas, sunflower seeds, broccoli, carrots, cucumbers & drizzle of ranch dressing
  • Chicken & peppers ( supposed to be a taco but I skipped the tortilla)
  • Beans
  • Rice


LOTS OF WATER because we are in the MOUNTAINS and it is SUPER DRY! I probably peed like 17 times a day. 

2 Pills with water @4:45

Dinner @ 5:15
  • Salad: Mixed greens, pepperchini, cucumber
  • Chicken with grilled peppers
  • Quinoa 
  • Brocoli 
  • Water


Lesson Learned: 
Too much broccoli is not a good idea especially when there is only 1 toilet in a cabin of 14 women. 

8:30 pm - Bite of my friends chocolate....let's take a moment to talk about this.

Dear Diary,
It was dark chocolate with sea salt, chipotle flavoring, and pop rocks. So it exploded in your mouth! It was MAGICAL! I am not a foodie. I don't get stoked about food. But this was a straight up RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE! So good. Good thing she only had the mini sized bar and I only had a bite...
Sunday 9/1

2 pills with water @8:30am

Breakfast @9am
  • Cup of coffee with vanilla soy creamer
  • Hard boiled egg white
  • Hand full of grapes and 3 slices of apples
  • 1 tbsp of all natural peanut butter
11:30 - Learned about Haiti. Ate about 1 cup of a Haitian dish made of red beans, peppers, and rice. 

2 pills with water @1pm

Lunch @1:30
  • Salad: basically the same type of salad as before but I added turkey slices
2 pills with water @ 4:45

Dinner @5:15 
  • Steak
  • Roasted veggies (brussel sprouts, tomatoes, squash, zucchini) 
  • Salad
Sorry this pic is so gross....I was so ravenous I ate most of my pretty veggies before I remembered to take a picture. 

I caved and had a brownie for dessert. 3 hours of self loathing proceeded. I was convinced that it would instantaneously make me gain 5 pounds. 

Monday 9/2

2 pills with water @8am

Breakfast @8:30am
  • Eggs
  • 2 Mini-Sausages
  • Cantaloupe, yogurt, & granola parfait
  • 1 Biscuit
  • Water
2 pills with water @11:45

Lunch @12:15
  • Salad with turkey slices (resisted the yummy cheeseburgers) 
  • Water
4pm ish?
My phone died. I was on the tear-down crew. They gave me a Peanut Butter Cliff Bar to sustain me. I now know how to fold cots and army tents. They are HEAVY! 

Also I got to take down THIS









No comments:

Post a Comment